hiding connection in wall

Old 08-15-04, 09:00 PM
homie
Visiting Guest
hiding connection in wall

I need to move an electrical outlet to place a mirror, but the new outlet location requires that I add some additional wire. (All sheetrock has been removed from the area). Is it safe (code permissible) for the connection to be made with wire nuts and just left in the wall? I assume not.
Can I safely do the same, except have the connection in an electrical box behind the sheetrock?
I do not want to have to place a cover on the wall, as the mirror is a flush mount and there is no clearance for a cover

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-04, 09:13 PM
it safe (code permissible) for the connection to be made with wire nuts and just left in the wall? I assume not.
You assume correctly.

Can I safely do the same, except have the connection in an electrical box behind the sheetrock?
Absolutely not!

Here are some thoughts:
  • What's on the other side of the wall? Can you turn the box around and make it accessible from the other side?
  • Are there one cable, two cables, or more in the box? The fewer cables, the easier it is to move.
  • You need to figure out where the cable(s) come from. You'll probably need to replace one or more of them with longer cables.
  • Is there an attic above or crawl space or basement below?