add ceiling lamp with switch control receptable

Old 08-16-04, 03:49 PM
joeychui
Visiting Guest
add ceiling lamp with switch control receptable

Hi

I tried to install a ceiling lamp in my bedroom. There is a switch control a receptal. I think it is easy to do so. I tried different ways to wire without sucessfull. There are two secineros (1) the ceiling lamp is not turn on (2) the ceiling lamp is on when I turn on a lamp in the receptal. If I turn off the lamp in the recetal, the ceiling lamp is off. And the switch on the wall is not work.

Is any one can help?

Joey

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 04:01 PM
Sounds like the switch has a switch loop, and does not have a neutral.
If this is the case then you need to modify the wiring where it is powered from.

Tell us the wires at ther switch and the wires at the recepticle outlet it controls. Be specific. Tell us what cables exist and how the wires in the cable are connected. Tell us every wire, whether you think it's important or not.

Old 08-16-04, 06:14 PM
joeychui
Visiting Guest
Smile Add a ceiling light with a switch-controlled receptacle

In the receptacle, the 2 wires going in are a white wire that is formed by 2 other joined white wires; and a black wire that is from one of black wire out of another pair (a black and a white).

In the switch, it is simply a white and a black wire.

I tried to connect the 2 wires from the ceiling light by cutting the wires going into the switch. And connect the black of the ceiling light to the black I just cut. And connect the white from the ceiling to the black of the switch and connect the white of the switch to the white left from the white of the switch.

However, I had no luck.

Please advise if I have anything wires wrongly connected,
thanks

Old 08-16-04, 06:22 PM
The wires going to the switch are a switch loop. There is no neutral. You cannot get power from a switch loop.

Where did you make your connections? Did you make them in the box with the switch? Did you make them in the box with the switched recepticle outlet? Did you install a new junction box and make them somewhere in the middle?

Do you mind if the recepticle outlet is no longer switched?

Old 08-16-04, 06:39 PM
joeychui
Visiting Guest
For the recepticle outlet non-switched, that is exactly what I am trying to do.

I connected the wire on the attic. That is, the switch on one wall, the recepticle on the other wall. I went up to the attic and cut the wires going in the switch and installed a new junction box there for these connections I made.

Thanks,

Old 08-16-04, 07:10 PM
Do all of this with the power off.

At the recepticle outlet you need to know which is the cable going to the switch. Take the white wire that goes to the switch and connect it with the other white wires that feed the recepticle. All the white wires should feed the same side of the recepticle. All the black wires, including the one that goes to the switch should be similarily connected to the other sidew of the recepticle.

At the switch do nothing. The black wire and the white wire should be connected to the switch.

At your new junction box connect the white wire from the recepticle to the white wire that goes to you new light. Connect the white wire from the switch to the black wire from the recepticle. Connect the black wire from the switch to the black wire that goes to your new light.

At all locations connect the bare ground wires together and to the ground terminal on the switch or recepticle and to the box (if it is metal).

What you want to do is to connect the recepticle outlet directly to power. You then want to feed this power to the new junction box in the attic. You then send power to the switch where it is switched off/on. This switched power is then fed to the light.