Change 220 To 110 Yep Thats Right!!

Old 08-16-04, 07:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Change 220 To 110 Yep Thats Right!!

I now have a freestanding electric stove which I am changing to gas. Question... I need to change the 220 to 110 as 110 is all thats needed to power the clock, lights, etc. and I could use the 220 elsewhere down the road. Whats the best way to do this? Thanks...Dave
Old 08-16-04, 07:34 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could, but you need to change almost everything: the breaker, the connections in the panel, the receptacle. It's probably just slightly harder to run the new circuit you need from scratch. At least that way, the option to return to an electric stove remains.
Old 08-17-04, 05:13 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,245
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with John. Leave the 240 outlet in place. Run a new outlet for the stove.
Old 08-17-04, 05:28 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,104
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
However, if it happens to be really difficult to pull the wires to the correct place, you might find it _easier_ to work with the existing wires and make the correct new connections at either end. As John and Racraft say, this will essentially be as much work as installing a new 120V circuit and leaving the 240V circuit in place...with the exception of not having to pull the cable from your box to the load point.

To do this, you will need the following:
a new 20A single pole breaker that fits your panel
12ga wire for jumpers
wire nuts, split bolts, or insulated screw terminal connectors suitable to connect 12ga wire to the wire currently in place
A 15A or 20A duplex or quadruplex outlet, or two duplex outlets
A faceplate that will mount the outlets on your current outlet box

Then simply run as a new circuit, but instead of connecting the breaker to a cable going to the new outlet, you run breaker to 12ga jumper to old wire, then old wire to jumpers to new outlets.

You will use the black and white wire from the old cable, and cap off the red wire at both ends. If you have space, you can simply leave the old double pole breaker in the panel, but make sure to disconnect both wires connected to it. If you need to take the old double pole breaker out, then you will need to get a cover plate for the extra hole.


,You will also need

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: