neutral and ground wires

Old 08-17-04, 04:45 AM
Bobby Cave
Visiting Guest
neutral and ground wires

I am putting a sub panel that will go out to my shed. The panel has a place for the hot wires and a place for the neutral ( I think ). There are about four spaces for wires on a small bar. The bar is connected directly to the panel and I thought that it should be isolated from the panel. I see not place for a ground wire. I do not want to place the neutral to the box because I am thinking that this would energize the panel, am I wrong????

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-04, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are essentially correct. With few exceptions, in _sub_ panels, the neutral and the ground conductors must be separate and land on separate sets of terminals.

The panel enclosure must be properly grounded. In your case (I am presuming a _detached_ shed), this means both ground rods _and_ an equipment ground conductor (if present) back to your main panel. Since your panel has a ground bus, attach the appropriate ground wires to this, and then purchase a neutral bus kit for your panel, and attach the neutral there.

Other types of panel will have a neutral bus with a 'bonding screw'. You would purchase a ground bar kit and attach it to the enclosure, land your grounds there, and land the neutrals on the neutral bus.

-Jon

Old 08-17-04, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In a subpanel the neutral and the ground must be isolated. Usually in your main panel they are connected.

When you buy a panel it usually comes with one bar. The bar is usually isolated from the panel itself, and comes with a screw that can be tightened to bond the bar to the panel. With a subpanel you remove this screw and do not use it. You then purchase a ground bar that attaches dirfectly to the panel.

In your sub panel make sure that the neutral bar is isolated from the panel.