wiring to garage

Old 08-17-04, 10:50 AM
sprinternate
Visiting Guest
Question wiring to garage

Im about to embark on running a line to my detached garage which is about 50 feet behind my house. Would like to have a 3 outlets for a garage door opener, fridge, and misc plus lighting. Thinking about a 50 amp breaker in the house and wondering what guage wire to use to run out. I will be burying the line.

Last edited by sprinternate; 08-17-04 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-17-04, 11:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
50 amps is fine. I would consider more only if you plan to heat or air condition the garage, or if you plan a kiln or welder.

6-gauge copper wire is fine. I'd just get 6/3 UF-B and bury it at least 24 inches deep.

There's a lot more to cover of course, and we can do that as your project progresses.

Old 08-17-04, 11:28 AM
sprinternate
Visiting Guest
thanks for the quick reply and dont worry, i have a former electrician who is guiding me through this process, just trying to get myself informed and stock up on supplies before i finally get him over to help.

Old 08-17-04, 12:10 PM
J
Whatever you do, don't make the very common mistake of buying the cable three feet too short. Somehow people often screw this up. Buy more than you need.

Old 08-20-04, 11:23 AM
sprinternate
Visiting Guest
am now wired from the breaker to a junction box on the side of the house. renting a trencher this weekend, any tips for this. do i need conduit, as i might as well run a cable line out while i have the hole dug. will the electrical line interfere with the cable? i imagine so.

Old 08-20-04, 01:42 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are not allowed to run cable wire and electrical wire in the same conduit, if thats what you're asking. I'm not sure about even being buried together, I don't think I would, as a fault with the electrical wiring would(could) charge the cable wire with 120/240 volts, but it may be legal.

Old 08-20-04, 01:50 PM
J
If the digging is easy and you can get 24 inches down, use direct-burial UF-B. If you can only get 18 inches down, use PVC conduit and THWN. Put about a foot of dirt on top of the power line before you run communications cables. Or if running the trencher is fun, dig a second trench about a few feet away from the first trench. If you don't already have a trenching shovel to clean out the trench, consider it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: