Ceiling Fan remote code

Old 08-19-04, 08:54 AM
tlr214
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan remote code

Hi,

I have an older Hampton Bay ceiling fan with factory installed remote control (no pull chains or switches on the unit). The original remote got lost in the construction mayhem, so I bought a new Hampton Bay remote (with receiver). I was told the new receiver couldn't be retrofitted, so I'm wondering how to make sure the codes will match up - I can't seem to find the old internal receiver to see what the old code was.

Thank you for your help. (again)

Tanya

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 10:02 AM
The old receiver is likely inside the bell housing up against the ceiling at the top of the downrod. You can usually access it by taking out a screw or two near the ceiling. I would recommend removing the old receiver and installing the new one. Pay careful attention to how the old one is connected before you remove it. Receivers usually have two input wires and three output wires.

Old 08-19-04, 12:39 PM
tlr214
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much John,

I found the old receiver in the section of the fan below the motor and above the lights. The receiver looks totally different than the replacement, so I decided to leave it in. I found the code buttons on the bottom of the old receiver and set the new remote to match. That seems to work, but not completely (the fan never turns all the way off unless I turn off all the power at the wall switch).

I spoke to someone from the company that makes the remote (General Home Products), and thay said it might just be the wrong remote for the style fan I've got, so I've ordered a new one from them.

Hopefully that'll do the trick.
In any case, thanks again for your help!
Tanya