open neutral

Old 08-19-04, 01:23 PM
Gvincent615
Visiting Guest
open neutral

Apoligies if this is a double post. I don't think my original post went through.

I have a problem with three recepticles. They are on a circuit that has about 6 recepticles in it. The 3 bad ones I tested with my plug tester show "open neutral" the other 3 are fine.

Which wire is the neutral wire, the black or the white one?

And is there an idiot proof tool that will tell me where to find the open neutral?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Gary Vincent

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 01:30 PM
All neutral wires are white, but not all white wires are neutral. Finding an open neutral is an Easter egg hunt. You've just got to start looking. Start at the outlets the don't work, but move on the adjacent ones that work as well. Be especially suspicious of backstab connections, wires poked into holes.

Old 08-19-04, 01:47 PM
Gvincent615
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I know one of the outlets that WORK has the wires poked into it and the tester show the wiring is correct. It has 2 black and 2 white wires poked into the back of it. should I take the wires out and tie the black to black and white to white and then jump them to the outlet?

Old 08-19-04, 02:17 PM
Because wires feed power into and out of each receptacle, the problem can be at an outlet that is working just fine. If the input connections are good, but the output connections are bad, then this outlet can work just fine but the next one won't.

There's a pretty good chance that all your outlets are backstabbed.

You can either do what you said and use a wire nut and pigtail to the screw, or, if there are only two wires of each color, you can simply move them from the backstab to the immediately adjacent screw. A very small screwdriver is necessary to release the wire from the backstab (unless it just falls out by itself).

Make most excellent connections!