Running wire under baseboards

Old 08-20-04, 03:53 PM
abrown
Visiting Guest
Running wire under baseboards

I am upgrading the wiring in an old house, along with other renovations. Currently, the bedrooms only have one plug outlet each, and I would like to bring them up to code. The question is how to run the wiring between outlets. The wiring run will start in the attic and come down an interior wall to the first outlet. From there, I need to run wire to a second outlet on an exterior wall. The walls are plaster & lathe and the "studs" on the exterior walls are just 1x1 straps to nail the lathe onto. We have removed the shoe molding around the baseboards to refinish the floors and there would be room to tuck 14/2 NM wire under the baseboards (essentially under the wall where the plaster ends).

Is this going to be acceptable, or does the wiring need additional protection? If protection is needed, what is the best way to provide it? I can't fit 1/2" EMT under the baseboards without removing them first, which I am somewhat reluctant to do, but if it is the best way to get a neat, safe wiring job done then so be it.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-21-04, 08:34 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow

"2100 Wire-mold" may be a feasible Wiring Method for your situation. I have used this Wiring Method extensively in re-wiring occupied Dwelling-Units in apartment-buildings.

"2100 B" ( "B" = base) is a u-shaped wiring-channel 10 ft in lenth and approx. 1" in width and 3/4" in depth. You set the 2100 on top of the base-boards and fasten the channel to the studs or the laths.After the channel is fixed in place, you connect the Branch-Circuit conductors to 2100 receptacles which are designed to clamp onto the base wiring-channel.The exposed wiring is concealed by "2100 C" ("C" = cover) which is a flat strip that "snaps" into the base-channel beween the receptacles and other "2100" fittings.

If you should consider this Wiring-Method, the first-step is to locate an electrical supply-house that can provide all the needed fittings and receptacles. You'll need "Internal-elbows" to join the "B" channel at wall-corners, and couplings to join the butt-ends of the channel. Inter-connect all the receptacles toether with a #14 Green Equiptment Grounding Conductor.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Old 08-21-04, 09:43 AM
Rlfrazee
Visiting Guest
Thought maybe should answer some of your questions in your post. The method you suggest would not be code compliant as there would be no protection from a driven nail lets say. You can remove the baseboard and notch the studs then covering the notched studs and cable with steel plates sometimes called plumbers plates. This protects the cable from driven nails. You can purchase these at any hardware or home center. You also must notch above the base plate then deal with the plaster board so the new cable can be tucked into the wall cavity. Not an easy way to accomplich your needs. Wiremold is a good idea. If your walls were drywalled things get easier to repair but your situation makes things other than what Pattba suggests more difficult but not impossible.I have even replaced the baseboard with wider trim to coverup the removed wallcovering that the original baseboard would not hide....Just my thoughts..RL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: