Rewiring a table saw for 230V

Old 08-21-04, 02:59 PM
Rewiring a table saw for 230V

I have a 30 year-old craftsman 10" table saw with a 1 HP motor that is rated 14 amps at 115V. The motor does not show specs for 230V, so am I to assume it cannot be wired as such?

The saw has run on a 15 amp circuit for the past 20 or so years without a problem, except that the lights get dim when it starts. Lately I have been using the workshop more, occasionally running more than one tool at once, and occasionally tripping the breakers. This fall I plan on rewiring the workshop with a subpanel and adding/replacing the #14/2 with #12/2 and upgrading and adding circuits with 20 amp breakers to allow more tools to be used at one time. Eventually I plan on getting a table saw that will be rated 3HP/18 Amp/220 V.

Would a double pole 20 amp breaker and #12/2 be adequate for the future saw?

I would also like to replace the cord of the existing table saw with a longer one. Where can I find replacement cords and how can I determine what kind I need? I'm having a hard time finding information about this on the web and at the home centers, if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-04, 05:24 PM
If the motor housing doesn't list dual voltage, assume it wont work. My ancient Emerson/Sears RAS lists both on the motor.

Old 08-21-04, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
If your future saw draws 18 amps it will need a 30 amp breaker with # 10-2 wire.

To extend the wire you would use #14-3 type SJ or SJTW wire available at most hardware stores, connected in the saw's junction or switch box.

Old 08-21-04, 06:50 PM
Thank you so much for the replies. I have a couple more followup questions concerning the cord:

Is there any limitation on length? I am going to need the cord to be 15-20 feet long.

Also, do I have to purchase a new plug or can I simply splice the new cord onto the old one?

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-04, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DO NOT splice the cord. Get a new male cap to match the old.
I would recommend SO cord due to the length which tells me it will lay on the ground for quite a few feet.

Old 08-22-04, 10:29 AM
I forgot to mention that the cord will be run along the basement floor about 10 feet, then up the wall to the outlet. The cord will be covered with a rubber protector along the floor. Is the SO cord appropriate for this situation?

Old 08-22-04, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
SO is a very good wire and it is for use when there is a chance of abrasion.
The only downside is it is quite a bit thicker than SJ or SJTW and you have to make sure the male plug can accept the thickness of SO.
If the wire is protected then the thinner SJ would be ok.