Electricity to storage shed

Old 08-21-04, 08:01 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Electricity to storage shed

I haven't been on the site for a while -- I like the 'new' look/features.

I am building a detached shed [10x12] behind my house [40'] and would like to get electricity to it for lights, light electrical tools and (as of now) a radial saw [15A]. Mainly for light-duty projects -- no commercial.

I have read a few of the related posts by others and have gleaned some good information, but they weren't exactly similar.

My thought was to simply add a new breaker [20A ???] and run a two-conductor [w/ground] through underground PVC to a few receptacles in the shed.

In other posts, new panels were being installed in the sheds -- I hope this isn't necessary. I am also not thrilled about the idea of getting a permit and an inspection, but will do so if required.

Any thoughts/ideas, pro's/cons? Thanks, G

Old 08-22-04, 06:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You do not need a sub panel. However, if you are going to run wire out there, I would run a 20 amp multiwire circuit. This will double the current you can have there.

Either use direct burial cable (12-3 with ground) or use individual conductors in conduit. Depending on how deep you run the cable/conduit, you will need to GFCI protect the circuit. If you go 24 inches deep, you can wait and do your GFCI protection at the shed, which is cheaper.

Old 08-25-04, 08:39 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Thank you, racraft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: