Electrical Motor wiring help

Old 08-23-04, 03:24 PM
Old man
Visiting Guest
Electrical Motor wiring help

Hello all, I have a question on reusing an electic motor from a garage door opener. I would like to use this as a small buffer wheel.
The motor is 1/2 h.p. , 1500 rpm.
My question is the wiring of it, it has 4 wires coming from inside the case, black, white, red, and blue, plus a green bolted to case housing. The red and blue were connected to a very large capacitor when in the garage door opener, and there was a circuit board also.
I want to do away with the circuit board and just wire very simply with an on-off switch in line, but I am thinking I need to keep the capacitor.
Can some one draw or explain how to wire this up?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-04, 04:38 PM
Black and white is probably power if the other 2 are connected to the capacitor. ARe there any other wires connected to these wires?

Old 08-23-04, 06:33 PM
Old man
Visiting Guest
The red and blue were connected to the cap. and another set of red and blue wires was connected to the other terminals on the cap, the whole thing was in a garage door opener and the circuit board fried. I just wanted to pull the motor out and use it for a small buffer.

I can not figure how to wire the red and blue wires, I put black to black and white to white and green to green on the power cord, and it sparks at the plug, it seems the motor is shorted internaly and probably no way to fix as far as I can tell. It says thermally protected Type T, but I don't know what to look for.

Thanks for the reply, but it probably is not salvageable.

Old 08-25-04, 08:33 AM
The motor has forward and reverse so the combination will change with the directionof the motor. Since this motor was not designed to run outside its case probably not a good esa to use it as you would like.