Power Surge Protector

Old 08-25-04, 06:12 AM
Question Power Surge Protector

We moved into our home 3 months ago in Florida. Surprisingly, we get power surges a few times per week. Sometimes in the middle of the night. We have surge protectors on the appliances, computers & TV's. I am wondering if a protector on the electric panel itself (installed by an electrician) would be a big help or not really. Please advise your opinion. Thanks/Jina

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 07:38 AM
What exactly are the symptoms of your power surges? In other words, how do you know that they are happening?

Old 08-26-04, 01:32 PM
Question Power Surge Protector

The first time it happened, my "touch" lights went on in the middle of the night. It was about 2am. Sometimes we hear it depending on what part of the house it effects. 2 days ago, it happened in the socket my computer is plugged into. The computer just turned off & started back on its own. Im assuming they are power surges. Am I wrong? I have not contacted the power co because the hurricane was recent & although we barely got anything from it, many others are still having trouble. This started long before the hurricane. Thanks/Jina

Old 08-26-04, 02:11 PM
I guess I might call that brief power outages. I would normally infer a temporary voltage increase from the phrase "power surge." Chances are that some cutoff in the power company's distribution system is cutting out and automatically resetting itsefl.

You could call your power company to see if they are having problems or if they recorded any events in their system at the times you noticed problem. You could also ask your neighbors if they are experiencinng similar occurences.

A whole-house surge suppressor (TVSS) on your main power supply is a good idea in areas with frequent incidents on the power supply. They can be usually be installed for a few hundred dollars. They don't replace the point-of-use surge suppressors, but augment them well.

Old 08-28-04, 11:15 AM
Power Surge Protector

Hi-I called the Powe Co & their reply was exactly what was in your previous post, "that some cutoff in the power company's distribution system is cutting out and automatically resetting itself." Thanks for your help!