Electrical for outdoor spa

Old 08-28-04, 01:15 PM
qst4sno
Visiting Guest
Cool Electrical for outdoor spa

Hi,
I recently "inherited" a spa which is about 7 years old from my sister as she was moving. I transported the tub and plumbing and removed all the electrical wiring from her fuse panel. The electrical wiring ran from the breaker to a box, through the basement wall, and through plastic conduit to a separate breaker box that was mounted in a storage cabinet, then out to the control unit of the spa. Since the wood skirting had rotted away I rebuilt it all and am curious about a couple of things. First I'd like to know if I can bypass the secondary fuse box? If not, are there any restricitions as to where it must located? For example, I'd like to build it into an access panel beneath the tub. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-04, 08:25 PM
Easy answer is no to placing the second circuit box under tub. It must be away form the tub with a GFCI breaker. Mine is located approx 5 feet away in a waterproof case (distributed by Square D).
Secondly in my location anyway you must have 2 breakers. I have a 60A breaker at main panel and 60A GFCI by my tub.

Call your local electrical safety authority or permit place they will give you all the info that you require to satisfy code in your area.

Hope that helps