Code questions for outdoor outlets

Old 08-29-04, 08:57 AM
Code questions for outdoor outlets

I plan on installing an outlet by a small pond. My source is an exterior GFCI outlet about 20 feet away. I know that the new outlet must be at least 12 " from the ground. Is there any regulation about the proximity of the outlet to the pond?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-04, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless it is a local code there is no restriction as to height above ground, other than the 6.5' max to count as a rquired receptacle. Also none for proximity to the pond.
GFI protected is the only stipulation.

Old 08-29-04, 05:05 PM
OK, thanks. One other question. I'm having trouble digging a trench adjacent to the foundation. Other than not being up to code, is there a problem if I can only bury the UF, say 8 " deep? (The path of the wire is located under 3" of river rock adjacent to the foundation).

Old 08-29-04, 05:37 PM
UM, yes, that is a problem. I can only tell you that you must be 24" deep unless the wire is GFI protected before it goes underground. Then the depth is 12".
Off the record, if you go to conductors in conduit instead of UF you can fudge the 18" number a little,(a little!). But you didn't hear that from me.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 08-29-04 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-29-04, 06:23 PM
If GFCI protected before going underground, and if protected by a 15-amp or 20-amp 120-volt breaker, UF cable can be direct buried as little as 12 inches. If you use rigid metal conduit (not EMT), you can bury THWN as little as 6 inches.

Old 08-29-04, 08:53 PM
The GFI protection does not necessarily have to be a breaker. It can be off the load of a GFI device.
I realized my typo on the depth and changed it to 12". I never use UF so I put 18" out of habit.
I feel rigid is out of the realm of DIY so I rarely suggest it. But John is correct, it can be 6" down.