Electrical 101 ?


Old 08-30-04, 06:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question connecting different gauge wires together?

I just replaced the burner receptacle for one of my surface burners on my stove. I noticed that it had 18 gauge wire while the existing wiring, which I needed to splice it to, was 16 gauge. The seller told me that it didn't present a problem. Can anyone tell me if that is true? I have my doubts seeing they have different resistance. I'm thinking that I might overload the new wire and cause a fire, or burnout the receptacle or burner unit.

- Gullible?

Last edited by mjsparling; 08-30-04 at 06:49 PM. Reason: more specific title
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-04, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
At first glance, 18 AWG sounds a bit small for a cooktop burner tap.

That said, however, taps are allowed to be smaller than normal branch circuit wire, so it is not necessarily unlikely that it would be appropriate. If the new burner is listed for the same voltage and current as the existing burners, then I think it would be fine.
Old 08-31-04, 07:02 PM
ampz's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 536
As L.P post stated, it should be O.K.As long as the replacement is manufactured by the same company as the old one {or a Co.authoirized to make replacements}.It may be that the new burner has a lower wattage output than the original, thus a smaller gauge wire.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes