Wiring problem??

Old 08-31-04, 09:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Wiring problem??

I think I might have a wiring problem. We bought a house in March and when I turn the light switches on, in all rooms, they crackle. Also, when the air condition comes on the lights go dim, they also go dim while the microwave is running.

Could someone maybe give me a little insight as to what might be the problem?

Also, how can I tell what amp service is coming into the house?

Thanks, Dee
Old 08-31-04, 10:04 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The crackling is probably just caused by poor-quality switches. It's not hard to replace them.

Dimming can be caused by a variety of things, some of which are your responsibility and some of which are the power company's responsibility. Loose connections are the first thing to look for. Unfortunately, you may need to check and/or remake every single electrical connection in your house. You might want to have a pro do the connections in the panel.

This is not difficult, but it can be tedious and time consuming. And if you are not careful, are not knowledgeable of what you're looking at, or don't do a good job, you can make things worse.
Old 08-31-04, 11:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question to john nelson

After I have the wires done, & if it doesn't work then what?

What part is the power company's responsibility?

Also, do you know how I can tell what amp service I have in my house (110, 220) I would like to switch a couple of things over to electric & would like to know if I have enough power to do so.

Thanks again, Dee
Old 08-31-04, 11:31 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,245
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

You are mixing terms.

"Amp" referes to current. Current is measured in amps.

"110" and "220" refer to voltage.

Residences in the US are supplied with 240 volts. Depending on the year in which the house was built and what appliances you have, your incoming service may be 60 amp, 100 amp, 150 amp, or 200 amp.

Take a look at your service panel. If there is a main circuit breaker then it will have a number on it, such as 100. This means 100 amps.

However, there is much more to the question of adding circuits then your incoming service size. You need to be concerned about panel space as well.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: