Pleaseeee Helppppp

Old 09-03-04, 03:09 PM
rj1kender
Visiting Guest
Question Pleaseeee Helppppp

Hello and how are you whoever may be reading this. I am in the middle of swapping my kitchen and dinning room. I installed a new wall and walk-thru. I installed new switches on this new wall. I have 3 sets of 2 + ground at the switches. Both end have been marked the same. 1 set for power, 1 setfor dinning room light and fan, and 1 set for kitchen lights. The other ends are in the attic. There is a juction box with all the old lights attached there, with the power. I will disconnect the old lights and need help on installing the new wires for proper installation. I have some experience with electrical. I wired in a 220 volt oven the day before THANKSGIVING. The meter was unable to be turned off due to a power company's lock and there was no main shut off, so guess what? I wired in the oven while the box at the meter was hot. I guess I was lucky cause I am still alive( and the turkey came out delicious).
PLEASE HELP WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO FINISH.
THANKS and GOD BLESS
RJ. KENDER

Old 09-03-04, 04:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not clear of the whole situation, but I'll give it a shot.

At the switch box:
  • All three white wires together with a wire nut. Push this into the back of the box.
  • All three grounding wires, plus two grounding pigtails, together in a wire nut.
  • One grounding pigtail to the green screw on one switch.
  • The other grounding pigtail to the green screw on the other switch.
  • Power cable black to two black pigtails with a wire nut.
  • One black pigtail to a brass screw on one switch.
  • The other black pigtail to a brass screw on the other switch.
  • Kitchen light black wire to remaining screw on one switch.
  • Dining light black wire to remaining screw on the other switch.
  • Repack the box extremely carefully, extremely carefully.
There are a hundred special codes for the kitchen and dining room. Don't wire anything in those rooms without knowing them all. This isn't a place to wing it.

Old 09-03-04, 09:24 PM
rj1kender
Visiting Guest
Question

Well I thank you very much for your help. Now let's see if I got this right. In the box with the switches I put all three white wires together. Then ground each switch and all the ground wires. Then the power I connect to both switches with pigtail to brass screw. The dinning light and fan, black wire to other screw on dinning room switch. Then the kitchen lights, black wire to the other screw on the kitchen light switch. Then after disconnecting the old lights I hook up the power set which is black to black, white to white, and ground to ground. Now the big question. I have noticed that there is no ground wire due to the age of the house. Can I connect the ground from the switch box to the ground wires in the new kitchen, that has GFI plugs, which has a ground wire that is grounded to the meter box? I have 2 kitchen lights. How are these wired up to the black on the second screw from the switch. Would that be 1. white wire from switch box to first light white wire and then to second light white wire. 2. ground wire from switch box to first light ground wire then to second light ground wire. 3. black wire from switch box to first light black wire then to second light black wire.

Old 09-05-04, 04:30 PM
J
Your "big question" gets different answers from different people. It's best to check with your inspector. My answer would be yes, but my answer doesn't matter much.

Everything else you said is correct.

Old 09-07-04, 05:08 PM
rj1kender
Visiting Guest
Question pleaseeee helppppppp part 2

well I guess what I will do is bring all the ground wires in the switch box to a single wire and then run that wire under the house and out to the meter box and ground it there. Will this be all right to do?

Old 09-07-04, 05:23 PM
J
You should run that grounding wire to the same panel where all your other branch circuit grounding wires terminate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: