Shop Sub Panel

Old 09-03-04, 09:13 PM
BMostellar
Visiting Guest
Shop Sub Panel

I'm building a shop that is detached from my house. I want to run a sub panel from the 200 amp main panel. I have plenty of space and amperage left.

What size panel would you recommend for a 110v shop? What if I want to prep it for 220v for future sale?

What gauge wire would you recommend?

TIA,
Bill

PS - I've talked to builders and friends and received differents answers. I've lurked here for a long time and learned a lot. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-04, 07:55 PM
Overall, starting out with a 120/240 feed is a wise investment. The amperage is totally dependant on what is will or could be used for. Before discussing numbers, look at the tools and determine how many amps will be drawn at any one time. If the space is big enough for two people to work, consider allowing for the two largest loads to run simultaneously.
How many lights, and what wattage?
Heating?

Is the line going to be underground? The best methodis conduit, PVC is the easiest for most applications. The depth at which it must be buried depends on what is passes under. The minimum depth is 24 inches. The larger the conduit, the better. The size is calculated by the size and quantity of conductors.
How far is it from the main service panel to the location of the subpanel?

gj

Old 09-04-04, 08:04 PM
Green Jacket has identified a lot of important concerns. Here are some more. If you can address these point by point, you'll get better advice. Consider both present and future needs.
  1. Square feet in the shop.
  2. Distance from the house to the shop.
  3. Number of people who might be working simultaneously.
  4. Heat or no heat?
  5. Air conditioning?
  6. Welding? If yes, big welding or small welding?
  7. Freezer and/or refrigerator?
The answer will almost certainly turn out to be either 100 amps on #2 copper wire, or 60 amps on #6 copper wire (unless your shop is more than 150 feet from your house).

Old 09-05-04, 05:37 AM
BMostellar
Visiting Guest
Shop will be 280 sf
Shop will be 6 ft from house - sub-panel 65 ft from main panel
Maximum 2 people working together, 1 machine at a time
Heating / Air Conditioning
No freezer
No welding

TIA,
Bill

Old 09-05-04, 10:21 AM
Well, that's why you got differing opinions. Because you're on the edge, and it probably depends on the amount of heat and A/C you plan. If you're talking about one window A/C and about 3000 watts of heat (which should be enough), then 60 amps will do you. If your A/C or heat are larger, consider 100 amps. A 60-amp subpanel offers you 14.4KW, which is probably plenty. On the other hand, the distance is short enough that the extra cost of 100 amps is not great. It's really your call. Either will do. Price it out both ways.

Old 09-16-04, 09:26 AM
BMostellar
Visiting Guest
I ran the wire for the 60 amp box, but decided to go with the 100 amp based on the advise you gave. My son just loved crawling through the joists twice (Thanks Will!).

I've run the wire through the external conduit around the exterior wall to the entry point for the shop.

The deck is installed over all this, so I can continue with the next phase.

Thanks for the advise. I'm certain I'll have more questions when I get to hooking up the electrical.