Can I add a 110 outlet after a 220 washer outlet?

Old 09-04-04, 01:42 PM
SparkyJoe
Visiting Guest
Can I add a 110 outlet after a 220 washer outlet?

I'm wiring a new 220v washing machine outlet in the laundry room on a 20 amp breaker. I'm using 10/3 romex so I have two hot wires, a neutral and a ground.

I'd like to have a 110v outlet a few feet away. Can I run 12/2 from the 220v outlet to a new box, connecting one of the hot wires, the neutral and the ground to a 110 outlet?

Thanks!

Last edited by SparkyJoe; 09-05-04 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-04, 02:23 PM
A 220-volt washing machine is unusual in a residence, so make sure you are correct about that first.

There are no prohibitions about having both 220-volt and 110-volt outlets on the same circuit. Just make sure you have sufficient capacity and follow the laundry room receptacle codes.

Old 09-05-04, 08:50 AM
SparkyJoe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply, John!

Old 09-05-04, 10:09 AM
Hey Sparky, just curious but are you actually putting in a 220 volt washer?...Roger

Old 09-05-04, 12:01 PM
SparkyJoe
Visiting Guest
Yes: it's a Bosch front-loader, part of a stackable set. The wife decided she wanted the laundry upstairs instead of down, so I took the opportunity to demand more efficient appliances. We still have the Maytag beasts, but I moved them to the basement as part of the kitchen remodel. We're keeping the old set of machines for washing large items like the comforters and so on. But the normal laundry will now happen upstairs and should use much less water and electricity. The washer is rated at 138 kWh/year and is much quieter than the Maytag washer. We used front loader washers when we lived in Europe and really liked them.

Old 09-05-04, 12:09 PM
SparkyJoe
Visiting Guest
Almost forgot to ask my next question for John or whoever:

The washer is rated at 11 amps and is on a dual pole 20 amp breaker. To connect the 110v outlet, I've run some 12/2 romex to the washer outlet box. The 10/3 white wire is connected at the panel but the 220v outlet only has connections for the ground and two hot wires, so the white was just sitting there in the box. Now it's connected to the white wire from the 12/2 romex. I connected the bare ground wires, and connected the black 12/2 wire to the same terminal in the 220v outlet as the 10/3 black wire. Even though the guage of wire is slightly different, both wires are tight. The 12/2 romex then goes to the 110v outlet.

Is this an acceptable way of adding a 110v outlet after a 220v one?

TIA

Old 09-05-04, 12:18 PM
As long as the washer manufacturer's installation instructions do not demand a dedicated circuit, and as long as you didn't put two wires under one screw (as "connected the black 12/2 wire to the same terminal in the 220v outlet as the 10/3 black wire" might imply), and as long as you don't try to simultaneously run anything off the 110 outlet that needs more than 9 amps (like a clothes iron), it sounds good.

Old 09-05-04, 12:45 PM
SparkyJoe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, John.

Re: the two hot wires: the outlet has holes in the back for stripped wires to go straight in, and the screw clamps down on them from the side. This is the best way I can think of to describe it. I think what you are warning me about is wrapping two wires around the threaded part of a screw and then tightening that screw. Is that what you mean?

As far as additional load on the circuit, the washer is intended to be plugged into the back of the dryer, but I didn't notice this until I started unpacking the appliances. I'd already run a dedicated circuit for each piece. The dryer required and is on a 30 amp breaker, even though it is rated at an amazing 13 amps. The washer is rated at 11 amps, and is on a separate 20 amp breaker. So I figured adding a bit to the washer's 20 amp circuit, with the washer's 11 amp draw, would be okay.

Old 09-05-04, 12:48 PM
One wire per hole. If there is only one hole for that connection, then you must use a wire nut and a pigtail.