need help installing ceiling heater

Old 09-05-04, 12:27 AM
DLuna
Visiting Guest
need help installing ceiling heater

I want to install a Broan bulb type ceiling heater in a 40 year old home. This will replace the old heating element/fan type currently in place. I have no experience doing this, although I was told it's a very easy install. My only real concern has to do with the type of wire I need to use. The manufacturer specifies a 75 degree min. wire. From what I understand, the house was built with 60 degree wire. Is there a specific 75 degree wire I need to use? How much of this wire do I need to use between the old wire and the new heater? Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-04, 08:08 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old homes were wired with that type wire which is the temp. rating on the insulator.(light fixtures give off alot of heat and over time the insulator will degrade and fall apart exposing the conductor) If you own an older home you may have already seen this. I think you would be hard pressed to find any NM60 wire now unless it was for a wet location. Wire sold now typically has a 90 celcuis rating (NMD90) You could run the new NMD90 wire from the light to the timer.
Also keep in mind that when placing the heat lamp that it does not radiate heat on the upper edge of the door when it is in the open position or a curton rod which could be used to hang towels on to dry. etc.

Old 09-05-04, 11:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The last two feet of cable is all you need to replace (joined in a permanently accessible junction box). Everything you find sold in your home center will be rated for at least 75 degrees.

Be sure to compare the wattage ratings of the old and new units. No sense going to all this trouble only to find out that your circuit can't handle it and trips the breaker every time you use the heater.

P.S. Exile gave you Canadian terms:
Canadian "NM60" = U.S. "NM".
Canadian "NMD90" = U.S. "NM-B".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: