Help! buzzing in wall below doorbell

Old 09-06-04, 11:29 AM
diymomof3
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! buzzing in wall below doorbell

About a week ago, my doorbell rang a couple times by itself and then started buzzing in the wall right below the chime unit. From reading up on doorbells on this site, I decided to change out the buttons, but that didn't work. It is still buzzing and the only way to make it stop is by shutting off the breaker. What should I try next? A new transformer? A new doorbell unit? or should I simply call an electrician? Thanks for your advice!
Michelle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 12:44 PM
If the buzzing is in the wall and not at the trandformer, it sounds like the wires are shorted together. try disconnecting the wires from the transformer and see if the buzzing continues. If it stops, then suspect the wires.

Old 09-06-04, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
diymomof3,

If the wires to the doorbell switches have shorted as racraft has said, the power could be continuously energizing the bell, causing the wall to vibrate.

If you remove the wire from the door switches at the bell while leaving the power on, this will tell you if those wires are keeping the plunger pulled in on the bell.

Old 09-06-04, 06:28 PM
I agree one of your button wires is shorted. Could be defective button or other metal like capping around the door or a screw or nail.

Old 09-06-04, 06:49 PM
diymomof3
Visiting Guest
Question

It definitelysounds like what GregH is describing, a vibrating buzz in the wall. I'll try out what you've all suggested to test that theory tomorrow. My next question is, if the wires are shorted, what next? Is there a quick fix or do I need to call an electrician? The most experience I have is changing several light fixtures and now the doorbell buttons. Thanks again!
Michelle