Extra garage circuit

Old 09-06-04, 02:25 PM
Extra garage circuit

I only have 1 15 amp circuit in my garage to run power tools and it trips sometimes on my table saw. I want to run a dust collector at the same time so I have no choice but to add another circuit.

My breaker panel is on a wall adjoining the garage and the run would only be about 10 feet to the socket. My garage walls are finished with drywall.

I have a book on basic electrical and I have done some in the past. I would like to run exposed conduit. I haven't been to the home center yet but is this legal in a garage and are there different types, metal, plastic etc?

Or perhaps I can only get this at an electrical supply house?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 03:14 PM
Conduit, and the wire for it, is available at any of the home centers. it comes in PVC or in metal.

Old 09-06-04, 04:54 PM
Thanks racraft, I should have looked before posting.

I took the cover off of the circuit breaker panel and luckily there is one unused connector. Since all of the existing wires exit the top of the breaker box, it would not be a good idea to place my new box in that stud bay.

So my plan is to cut out a small piece of drywall on the other side of the wall (which is the garage) and slightly above the breaker box overlapping the stud. This way I will have access to the top of the breaker box and my new wire. I will then notch the stud so I can get into the next stud bay where I can put my new box which will be my starting point for exposed conduit. I have located the main breaker shut off for the house.

This sound like a good plan?

Thanks