Diagonal Wiring

Old 09-06-04, 07:50 PM
isuras2
Visiting Guest
Diagonal Wiring

I was reviewing my wiring book about common electrical code requirements and one statement is "do not run cables diagonally between framing members." Do the framing members mean studs and/or joists in an unfinished basement ceiling? Also, is there some reason, safety, etc. as to why diagonal wiring is not permitted?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-04, 08:27 PM
Never heard the advice, don't know what book you're citing, don't know where you live, don't know whether this is meant to be a recommendation or requirement, and don't know the context of the advice. Please provide more information.

Old 09-07-04, 05:50 AM
isuras2
Visiting Guest
The book I found this in is titled "The Complete Guide to Home Wiring : A Comprehensive Manual, from Basic Repairs to Advanced Projects" from the Black & Decker Home Improvement Library Series. It was under common code requirements. I live in Blair, Nebraska. I am putting romex wires 12/2 through the joists in the unfinished basement ceiling.

Old 09-07-04, 06:29 AM
I know of no electrical code that corresponds to what that book recommends, and I have never heard that recommendation before. I hope others can comment.

Old 09-07-04, 06:38 AM
I'll guess the issue is practicality----it's obvious that it's much easier to bore holes "straight-thru" joists than at an angle, and angular boring would be done if the cable-run was diagonally across the joists in order to minimize the "friction" in pulling the cable thru the holes in the joists.

Q--- if you had to route 50 ft. of 6/3 cable thru holes bored in joists, how would you procede in boring the holes?

Old 09-07-04, 07:51 AM
I just completed the task of pulling 6/3 cable to a new sub-panel. My recommendation is the measure carefully for each hole you drill. Measure both across and down. I used a template for my drilling. You want all the holes in alignment. Pulling 6/3 is a real b***h. If the holes are not square and in exact alignment you are in for some fun. Also if possible, try to fully unwind the cable before starting the pull; again it will be much easier if there are no kinks in the cable.

About the diagonal cabling, I would not do it, looks so bad. It also does not allow you to take advantage of running the cable between the joists, whereby saving some drill holes.

Old 09-07-04, 08:03 AM
Before we get too far discussing 6/3, I will remind you that isuras2 is pulling 12/2.

Old 09-08-04, 11:49 AM
Maybe the reason the author{s} of the book took into consideration workmanship & how sloppy a job would look if romex was running at all different angles. Just my 2 bits.