New Wall Switch for Existing Ceiling Light

Old 09-12-04, 06:25 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
New Wall Switch for Existing Ceiling Light

I have a 20s vintage house with hot wiring for a ceiling fixture in every room, but apparently these were meant for pull chains because there appears to be no wiring to the wall for a switch. Am I missing the wall wiring? If it's not there, how do I add a wall switch to use with these ceiling fixtures?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-04, 08:30 AM
In 80 years, almost anything could have happened. Someone could have plastered over the old switch, maybe it was never there, maybe the wall moved, etc.

You can add a switch if you can run a new cable from the ceiling to the wall. How hard that is to do depends on such factors as what the walls are made of and if there is an attic above the room. Most books on home wiring show you how to do such projects as this, or this would be a simple project for an electrician.

However, if you still have the original 80-year-old wiring, touching it at all could be very risky.

Old 09-13-04, 05:43 PM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Thanks. There are ceiling boxes in all rooms, but no switches and no evidence of being plastered over. The upstairs can be accessed through the attic, but the downstairs will be trickier, although some of the circuits come through the basement. Much of the wiring has been redone at some point. Thanks for the advice. I'll check the books.