lose power but breaker does not trip

Old 09-12-04, 07:34 PM
lose power but breaker does not trip

Hi
There is times when I use a outlet and it seems if it gets overloaded ( an example is I went to use my table saw and it started for a split second and would not run,all plugs in that circuit shut down also,but the breaker did not trip. After about 2-3 minutes it is fine) What is wrong. Is the breaker to big? I have a 30 amp breaker. Do I need to put 20 amp. The circuit has a few plugs and a light for my garage.
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-04, 07:45 PM
The size of the breaker you indicate is not clearly the culprit to your off/on experience. But ..... The 30A breaker is almost surely a code violation with regard to the circuit you have. Does it serve regular receptacles or special 30A receptacles.
Almost for sure the breaker needs to come down to a 20 at the most, if the wire is #14, then 15A breaker.
The off/on might be a overheating conductor due to the over sized breaker for the wire size used.

Old 09-12-04, 07:46 PM
Check for loose connections at all outlet boxes {receptacles,lighting swithces, & the circuit breaker panel connections} on the circuit.You said it was wired to a 30a breaker I hope you used 10# AWG wire for the circuit.If not you must use a breaker sized according to the gauge of the wire used.
# wire gauge wire ampacity breaker size
14 15a 15
12 20a 20
10 30a 30

Old 09-12-04, 07:47 PM
Hope you can understand my L.P.,it didn't come up the way I had intended

Old 09-12-04, 08:41 PM
Thank you for the info and I will fix the problem. It is only used with regular outlets and it was a rookie mistake.
Thanks again
Mike