Wiring new bathroom

Old 09-14-04, 05:02 AM
timmyg123
Visiting Guest
Wiring new bathroom

I have a GFI outlet, fan, recessed light and wall light.
All will be on one 15amp circuit.

I'd like 2 switches to control fan and lights seperately.

What would the wiring diagram look like for this setup?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-04, 06:47 AM
If you are in the United States, since this is in a bathroom, then this must be a 20-amp circuit with 12-gauge wire, not a 15-amp circuit. There are also code requirements for exactly where that receptacle is located.

The answer to your question depends on whether the fan and the lights are colocated in one fixture, and on whether the two switches are colocated in one box.

Old 09-14-04, 07:05 AM
timmyg123
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
If you are in the United States, since this is in a bathroom, then this must be a 20-amp circuit with 12-gauge wire, not a 15-amp circuit. There are also code requirements for exactly where that receptacle is located.

The answer to your question depends on whether the fan and the lights are colocated in one fixture, and on whether the two switches are colocated in one box.
It's a basement bath, not expected to have much use, and no inspection.
Do you recommend I still switch to a 20amp?

Fan and lights will be seperate, both switches in same box.

Old 09-14-04, 07:38 AM
If you ever want to sell the house, or if anybody might possibly use a hair dryer in this bathroom, I'd recommend the 20-amp circuit. It's probably worth the $1.95 extra it will cost you. In most cases, including this one, it's no harder to follow code than to violate it, so why not follow it?
  • Run the 12/2 power feed into the box with the GFCI (no more than 36" from the lip of the sink).
  • Connect the 12/2 to the "line" side connections on the GFCI.
  • Run another 12/2 from the receptacle box to the double-gang switch box.
  • At the receptacle box, connect this 12/2 to the load side of the GFCI.
  • At the receptacle box, use a wire nut to connect the two bare wires to each other, and to a pigtail to the green screw on the GFCI.
  • At the double-gang switch box, use a wire nut attach the black wire coming from the receptacle box to two pigtails.
  • Attach one pigtail to one screw on one switch.
  • Attach the other pigtail to one screw on the other switch.
  • Run two 12/2 cables from the double-gang switch box, one to the light(s) and one to the fan.
  • Attach the black wire from one cable to the remaining screw on one switch.
  • Attach the black wire from the other cable to the remaining screw on the other switch.
  • Connect all three white wires in the box to each other with a wire nut.
  • Use a wire nut to connect all three bare wires to each other, and to two bare pigtails, one to the green screw on each switch.
  • At the lights and fan, connect per manufacturer's instructions (match wire colors).

Old 09-14-04, 08:33 AM
The other item that John did not mention is that nothing outside of this bathroom can be on this circuit.

No other bathrooms, no other recepticles in the basement or anywhere in the house, no other lights, Nothing.

Only items in this bathroom may be on this circuit.

Old 09-14-04, 03:27 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
John - Your wiring instructions call for the power to run through the GFI receptacle before going to light and fan, and I was wondering if this is required by code? If not, does the person doing the wiring have some alternatives so that the light (and fan) would continue to work if the GFI tripped?
Thanks.

Old 09-14-04, 03:48 PM
The light and fan do not require GFCI protection by code. And I don't even usually put them on GFCI. I was just trying to keep the instructions simple. I've never been too worried about the "left in the dark" problem. If the bathroom is dark, I just go somewhere else.