Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How to run wires inside of finished walls with now attic or basement?

Old 09-14-04, 01:51 PM
CptanPanic
Visiting Guest

I was wondering how to run wires inside of finished walls for a room that has high ceiling with no attic or basement? My best guess would be to drill holes at an angle through the sides of the studs and fish the wire through, is this how?
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-04, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are these wires for? Another outlet? A light? A fan? Are you planning on running wires vertically or horizontally? If horizontally, then that would be a huge PITA.

Chris

Old 09-14-04, 06:11 PM
S
I assume no crawl space is available.

Wow.... what a, uh, mess.

I hope it's drywall.

If drywall, then you may end up cutting a section out that matches a practical path for your romex. Romex, right? If you have wide baseboards you can make the cuts behind the baseboards.

If you have plaster, then, uh, you really have a mess. Old plaster doesn't like power tools cutting into it; tends to rattle off the wall.

You need to seriously consider running the wires on the outside of the house. You would use rain-tight conduit and the correct wires. "THHN" is usually the wire that is found in conduit.

Old 09-14-04, 07:16 PM
The only other things I can think of would be to run conduit along the wall, "hiding" the romex in the conduit. Paint it the same color as the wall.

Or, if there is a base trim, you could remove the trim, cut out drywall that's behind the trim (only cut a width enough for the romex), then run the cable and replace the base trim. Could work.

Chris

Old 09-14-04, 08:21 PM
S
Oh, don't forget WireMold, it's a tried and true alternative when the wiring needs to retain a cosmetic appearance.

The V500 series is completely adequate for most needs, but the V500 comes in ivory and white.

http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed532.pdf

Old 09-14-04, 08:34 PM
LOL, wiremold is actually what I meant by conduit. However, the two are different, but very similar.

Chris

Old 09-14-04, 08:46 PM
J
Don't go goofy. Drywall is cheap and easy to repair. Just cut out a strip of drywall, run your cable, and repair the drywall.