Painting Exterior Circuit Breaker Box

Old 09-16-04, 08:02 AM
SuperKlutz
Visiting Guest
Painting Exterior Circuit Breaker Box

Is it ok to paint the exterior of a circuit breaker box, and the metal portions of the utility company meter?

Old 09-16-04, 01:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine that it wouldn't be, but local codes can vary. You might check with your local inspections or code enforcement department. Other than that, keep the paint out of the box and off of the meter itself. Also be aware that all latches, tamper seals and doors need to remain in working condition so the boxes can be easily opened if needed.

Doug M.

Old 09-17-04, 07:35 AM
SuperKlutz
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug!

Old 09-17-04, 10:03 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is against code in some areas. First check with your local code enforcement office. Emergency response personnel (IE Fire Department) expect to quickly locate such things and may be delayed if it is painted a different color. I have heard of a person who painted theirs and was later found out. That person was forced to replace the box. The city would not allow him to simply remove the paint because they had a regulation requiring the box to have the original shade of grey. A quick telephone call to your local code enforcement office will be best.

Old 09-19-04, 08:24 PM
SuperKlutz
Visiting Guest
Thanks Scrayen. I'm glad I asked. I'll call them tomorrow morning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: