Wire pulling question

Old 09-17-04, 11:16 PM
sandsmarc
Visiting Guest
Wire pulling question

I planned to run 4 #6 THHN/THWN conductors underground to my garage. It's about a 50 foot run and I already buried 1-inch rigid conduit. But now I'm looking at the conductors and I'm wondering if the conduit is too small. The pull will be 360 degrees including 2 hard right angles and 2 sweeping bends. So my question is if I should even entertain being able to pull 4 #6 conductors 50 feet through 360 degrees of 1-inch conduit. I planned a 60 amp capability for the garage, but I could really downgrade to smaller conductors and less capacity if I have to. Any thoughts?

Old 09-18-04, 09:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your conduit fill is just under maximum allowed if conduit is rigid metal or PVC sch. 40, (over if your conduit is rigid PVC, sch. 80). You state 4-#6 wires, is one of these the EGC? If so, it could sized at 10 guage (minimum). That will gain some room. Also, you state there is 2 hard bends, are these LB connectors? if so, you do not have to pull through them, rather use them as a pull point. Dont forget wire pulling lube. Good luck with your project

Old 09-18-04, 08:11 PM
sandsmarc
Visiting Guest
Thanks very much for the response and suggestions. Yes, it's rigid steel conduit I'm pulling through, and the hard bends are LB's, so that should make it easier. I wasn't thinking when I bought the conductors, the EGC is #6, same as the rest. If I run into too much resistance, I'll buy some #10 to gain some room. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: