Doorbell wiring help

Old 09-18-04, 12:46 PM
Doorbell wiring help

I'm working on a friend's old house, in which we had to disconnect the doorbell a few months back. We drew a diagram of how to reconnect, but that piece of paper is long gone.

I have two wires at the chime - one from the tranformer, and one from the bell, each with two lines However, I have no idea which is hot and which neutral. I have four screw terminals at the chime. I figured it should go transformer hot to the chime, and bell hot to the chime, and just connect the neutrals - but that doesn't work. The best I can get is when I hook up all four lines, and it constantly rings.

How do I identify each line (hot or neutral), and re-connect it all?

thx

Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-04, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From one set of double wires, touch one bare end to the transformer screw on the chime and the other wire of the same set to the front door screw. If the chime dings, you have the wire set from the transformer. If not, repeat the above instructions with the other wire set. The one which dings the chime is the transformer set. Attach one lead from this set to the transformer screw on the chime. Leave the other wire free. Then attach one wire from the other set to the front screw. Finally, twist the loose transformer wire and the loose door together and tape or put a wire nut on the connection. Your chime should then ding-dong when you press the door button.

Old 09-18-04, 02:05 PM
How do I tell which is the transformer screw and which is the front door screw?

Old 09-18-04, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually the screws will have some markings above or below them. trans or xmfr or similar for the transformer terminal, F or front for the front door, and R or rear for the back door. There are usually only three screws.

Old 09-20-04, 10:17 AM
Got it - thx!