3 prong plug, 4 prong outlet

Old 09-18-04, 02:18 PM
glass_AK
Visiting Guest
Electric range: 3 prong plug, 4 prong outlet

The range that I need to use for a few months has the older 3-prong plug, but my kitchen has a 4-prong outlet. I purchased a 4-prong cord and plug, but am a little hesitant to try this myself. To tell you the truth it looks pretty easy, but I don't exactly have electrical experience. Is this something I can do? And if so, which of the wires does not get connected?
Thanks so much for any assistance you can give me!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 11:10 AM
Here it goes...

the wiring from new cord goes like this... White goes to the center, Red goes on the right, Black on the left, and Green goes to the case or external ground screw. There is usually a ground bar (plain copper strip) or wire that connects the center screw on the range (where the white wire goes) to the frame. You must disconnect this wire or bar. The green wire in the cord is now your ground. (The old 3-wire cord the center was both nuetral and ground, you now have a seperate nuetral and ground). BTW, I am not an electrician, but ran into the same problem with an electric dryer. This information is from:
http://www.american-appliance.com/se...dryer_cord.htm

This is where I figured out how to wire the dryer properly. I would appreciate it if one of the experts could double check my info though!!