Service entrance?

Old 09-19-04, 06:02 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
Service entrance?

Another question:

Our service comes into the house from the pole and drops down through the roof into an exterior wall. On the wall is the meter with a circuit panel beneath it.

Is this the service entrance or a combination service entrance main panel?

Thanks,

Henry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It depends on what you have. You may have a meter/main breaker combo. The whole thing is the service. If the main branch circuit panel is outside then that is the service disconnect as well as the main panel.

The conductors from the connection point with the utility are the service entrance conductors. The conductors from the meter to the main panel/disconnect are the service conductors.

Old 09-19-04, 06:11 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
The meter and the panel are one unit...?

Old 09-19-04, 06:13 PM
The definition of a "service" varies from municipality to municipality.You"ll have to contact your local inspector. In my area of the country both terms are used interchangably & mean the same thing. Is the service panel & meter mounted inside the house or outside?

Old 09-19-04, 06:20 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry it was not clear before.

The meter and connected circuit panel are on the outside of the house.

Old 09-19-04, 06:43 PM
I'm still unclear as to what you actually want to know. Basically it's all the service and service equipment.
Why do you need to know?

Old 09-19-04, 06:49 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
Basically, I am trying to find out what to replace the existing 70 amp panel with.

I want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel, and I need to know what to look for when shopping.

I'm guessing that since this all one unit, the electric company will have to come in to deal with anything to do with the meter. Do they hook the meter up to the main breaker or does an electrician or can I do it?

Old 09-19-04, 06:59 PM
I personally am of the belief that services are NOT DIY jobs.
No offense, but if you are uncertain of even what parts to buy then IMO this confirms this belief.
Depending on your area the POCO or AHJ may not let you do this job yourself. Normally the POCO has nothing to do with a service change except possibly disconnection the drop, pulling the meter and then reconnecting it after. In my area a certified electrican can pull the meter and make up the taps ourselves.
Yours does not sound like the conventional meter outside, panel inside service. I feel you should have an electrician look at it and give you an estimate. You do not want to mess around with something you're not sure of, especially when there are unfused conductors to be dealt with.

Old 09-19-04, 07:50 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
Thanks Petey.

My next door neighbor is a union electrician, but I was trying to avoid bothering him.

I am just interested in learning and pretty much knew I would need the assistance of my neighbor at some point; I just thought I could be ahead of the curve by learning a little about the whole process.

Old 09-23-04, 06:09 PM
I agree with Pete, not to burst your bubble but, this is definately not a DIY job