Breaker tripping

Old 09-19-04, 06:04 PM
Question Breaker tripping

30 YO home 70 amp main breaker.

Central AC unit runs on circuit along with light/outlets in portions of three rooms. Never before had any issue with breaker, but today, it trips twice. When AC is turned off, breaker is fine.

AC is working seemingly normally. House is nice and cool, outside unit shows no strain. Two weeks ago AC had issue with condensate pipe clogging. After it was unclogged problem was resolved. No issues with AC until today.

Breaker is 20 Amp and after it tripped was very warm. I see no direct evidence of damage or shorts.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

allenzachary

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 06:15 PM
Check to be sure there are no loose connections. You may need an electrician to do this for the main breaker.

Old 09-19-04, 06:27 PM
I agree with Ron call a pro.He'll check for any loose connections,& may need to replace the main breaker

Old 09-20-04, 07:41 AM
A central A/C is connected to a 20 Amp breaker along with "light/outlets in portions of 3 rooms"?? When the 20 Amp breaker tripped, did the A/C go off too? The outside unit or the inside unit? I'm guessing the inside unit (air handler or furnace). This isn't a good arrangement, but one thing at a time... I wonder if you may have gotten some water in the furnace fan motor when the condensate pipe backed up. Turn off power to the furnace/air handler and open the fan compartment. Can you see any water or dampness?

Doug M.