Garage Sub panel

Old 09-20-04, 07:08 AM
fitzy72
Visiting Guest
Garage Sub panel

Planning on installing a sub panel in garage.I have 100 amp main. What size service could i put in ?
Garage is attached by breezway. I'm thinking that 60 amp would be sufficient based on what I will run. (small air compressor,110v mig welder and other small hand power tools.
I have a 60 amp gfci spa breaker panel being fed by the main for hot tub. No other major electrics ie: stove, hot water and heat is all gas.
Can I run the cable not in conduit from the main to the sub about 50 ft away?
I would like to stub sch40 from the sub up through the ceiling and put the cable through that is this ok? What other considerations should i have like grounding?
When i feed circuits in the garage i was planning on running emt and pulling in seperate conductors. Is this a good way for a garage or is there an easier way? Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Old 09-20-04, 07:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can install whatever size subpanel you want. The amount of power used by the house and garage together is still limited to 100 amps. But I agree with you that 60 amps is probably the right number for your situation.

You can run 6/3 UF-B cable directly buried at least 24 inches deep. But you will have to sleeve it in conduit when above ground and until it gets to the bottom of the trench at each end.

You will need a ground rod at the garage.

As you've probably already read a hundred times, keep the neutrals and grounding bars electrically isolated at the garage. If you haven't read this at least a few times before, then you haven't read enough to start this job. This advice is kind of like the "look both ways before you cross the street" advice. It's really basic.

Old 09-20-04, 10:42 AM
fitzy72
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry I should have clarified. The cable will not really leave the house. It will go through a chase to the attic then accross the breezway and down through the ceiling in the garage. My question about the conduit was regarding where it pokes through the ceiling in the garage and goes to the sub. Thanks.

Old 09-20-04, 11:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The cable requires physical protection. That is somewhat subjective depending on the situation. But sleeving the cable in conduit from the ceiling to the panel is probably a good idea if the cable is not otherwise inside of a stud cavity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: