Receptacles in Basement

Old 09-20-04, 12:26 PM
chagelsk
Visiting Guest
Receptacles in Basement

I am finishing my basement and have had an electrician help me with some of the electrical work. I am tryin to get a lot done myself so that I dont have to spend an arm and a leg for his work. We attached all the outlet boxes and ran wire to them. I decided to install the actual receptacles and now I have read a couple places saying to wait until dryall is finished to install the receptacles. Is this true? Should I take them off and then re-install them after I drywall? Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you need to wait until the drywall is installed to install the receptacles. The junction boxes are typically recessed a little bit into the drywall, however the receptacles must be flush with the drywall. The ears on the recepatcles will keep the receptacles properly aligned.

Old 09-20-04, 12:36 PM
Switches and receptacles are a pain in the neck during the drywalling process, especially if you use a drywall router to cut out around the boxes. It's up to you, but I'm definitely take them out until after drywalling. It will make texturing and painting a lot easier too without the switches and receptalces.

Old 09-20-04, 01:02 PM
chagelsk
Visiting Guest
I will remove them then. So basically, before drywalling, the electrical work that needs to be done is: installing the boxes, recessed lights, and running the wire, also running the TV cable and speaker cable. Once those things are done, I can drywall? Is there something I am missing here? My electrician was talking about having another full day of work left for the rough in. This just doesnt make sense when all we have left is about 7 outlets to rough in, and 6 can lights. We do have to run circuits from the electrical box, but I am not sure when that is supposed to happen.

Old 09-20-04, 03:16 PM
Before the drywallers come (or before you drywall if you're doing it yourself), give all those wires an extra shove as far back in each box as you can. You want to minimize the chances of a router hitting one of those wires.

The only access you'll have after the drywall is done is through the boxes, so make sure that everything else is done.