Running wire through the metal studs

Old 09-22-04, 05:19 PM
griva
Visiting Guest
Running wire through the metal studs

Hello,

I have 2 questions:

Is it OK to run NM wire through the metal studs (using plastic bushings) ?

How do I run wire vertically? obviously, I can't use regular staples and I could't find anything in store.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-04, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are correct. Special plastic bushings for going through holes.
They do make NM straps. You need to use them for the vertical runs. I use "peanut" screws for NM and BX straps on metal studs.

Old 09-22-04, 07:38 PM
NM Cable -Romex - Is best left to being ran in wood studs. Although they make bushings, they were not really designed to wire a whole building with them. They are mainly used when taking NM cable through a sharp area that it may become damaged in. When working with metal studs, as most commercial jobs are, and quite a few homes... it is best to either use conduit or us MC (BX) cable. Although it is quite a difference in price, that is probably your safest answer. As for strapping vertical runs, I don't know of any straps that will even hold NM cable on a metal stud. They do make one hole straps, which are a half moon shaped strap with on hole in them to put a screw through to anchor it to the stud, however they are meant for MC cable and conduit.

Post back giving us an idea of what you re trying to do, it this a large project or do you only need to go through a few studs? Also, if anybody out there can add to my post or knows of any fastners for holding NM cable on metal studs, please post it. I do mostly commercial work, and since NM is basically illegal on commercial jobs around here, I don't get to deal with it much. There may be something I don't know about.

Best of luck,
Paul

Old 09-22-04, 08:58 PM
Although it is not the norm, NM is perfectly fine with metal studs, and on commercial jobs. It all depends on your local jurisdiction. You do have to take some more care as to how and where you run the cable. The bushings available, the two piece ones that snap together, are designed to wire a whole structure with. That is what they are made for.
Like I said previously, they also do make NM straps. They are shaped like NM, not half round.

If I had the choice, and it was in the budget, I would use BX, but there is no reason other than local codes not to use NM.

Old 09-23-04, 02:59 PM
griva
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your replies.

We are finishing our basement, so we will need to run the wire through quite a few studs - and yes, we are on a very tight budget.

Our township uses NEC 2002 - which I don't have handy.
If anyone knows if the combination NM wire + bushings + metal studs is code compliant - I would really appreciate this info.

Thanks again

griva

Old 09-23-04, 06:26 PM
Knowing where you live is a good place to start.

According to the NEC it is fine. Local amendments may vary.

Old 09-24-04, 10:33 AM
griva
Visiting Guest
Speedy Petey,
sorry, I am so slow :-)

I live near Philadelphia and as far as I knoe the township adopted the 2002 NEC - and there is no amendments.
So looks like I'll be fine.

Thanks!

g

Old 09-24-04, 06:31 PM
As long as the studs have a bushing anywhere a wire run thru them you are O.K. Obviously that includes holes in the studs you need to make youself and for any data,phone, or other cables. I live in Philly if you like you can send me a private message here if you need other info. Good luck

Old 09-24-04, 06:37 PM
Forgot to mention,you can use UF straps for vertical support.They have a square back & fit NM cable nicely,using the screws Pete suggested.

Old 09-26-04, 07:26 AM
griva
Visiting Guest
Thanks, everybody!
Ampz, with you kind permission, if I am totally stuck, I'll PM you.

g