pvc conduit

Old 09-23-04, 07:21 PM
huffle
Visiting Guest
pvc conduit

I have plans to enclose a covered patio. of course the inner/existing wall to the house is/will be brick so the electrical will be in pvc conduit. the room will be an office. is it ok to put/ share a phone line in the conduit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-04, 07:40 PM
No, it's not allowed for safety reasons, and you wouldn't want to even if it was allowed for interference reasons.

Old 09-24-04, 07:13 PM
huffle
Visiting Guest
pvc conduit

thanks John. I figured the interfrence thing, wasn't sure on the safety.

Old 09-25-04, 04:25 AM
The electrical code doesn't care about interference, but does care about safety.What would happen if say a hot wire and a low voltage phone wire were accidentally damaged during pulling through the conduit and then crossed? Not good.

Old 09-26-04, 05:35 PM
rcsharon
Visiting Guest
I have had a phone line installed simultaneously with electrical lines from the house to a new garage through pvc conduit. There have been no interferences and it has been a great convenience.

Old 09-26-04, 08:53 PM
It's a great convenience right up to the second where your phone electrocutes you. But of course that will probably never happen. This is a very serious violation of the national electrical code.

Old 09-27-04, 02:02 AM
rcsharon
Visiting Guest
I am very sorry, but I later discovered the phone line had been installed separately through a separate cable.