outside recpt, light and switch

Old 09-24-04, 08:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outside recpt, light and switch

Hi,

This weekend I'm running an outdoor recpt (2 actually, front & back of the house) for Christmas lights. (It will be here before you know it I know these need to be GFCI, weatherproof, etc. I was going to branch off the circuit that serves the basement recpt. and lights.

I'd like to have these outdoor outlets switched on/off with the patio light.

Is there any code problem with the circuit for the basement having a switch in the living room? (or laundary room?) and controlling outside lights/rectps?

I'm making great progress on my projects, thanks to all for advice.

Steve

Old 09-24-04, 09:42 AM
R
Yes, you can put a switch for these receptacles in those rooms. I do offer two words of advice.

Don't put the switch where someone may confuse it with a switch for something in the room. Someone may accidentally turn your Christmas lights on or off at the wrong time of day.

Label the switch if at all possible. Either put a label on the switch plate, or if that is not acceptable then at least use a permanent marker and write on the inside of the switch plate. People are all the time asking questions here about what a switch might control, and eventually finding out it controls an outside receptacle.

One concern though. If you want these receptacles to switch on and off with the patio light, then you need to get them wired into the patio light circuit, either from the patio light or from the switch for the patio light. In either case you won't need a new switch. Personally I wouldn't do this, as I would want complete control independent from the patio light, but obviously you can do so if you want.

Old 09-24-04, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm planning on moving the outdoor light to the same basement circuit. Its on a knob and tube circuit now, I don't want to tie into that. I'm slowly replacing the K&T when and where I get the chance. Another one bites the dust.

I agree the rectp would be better on its own switch, but there is limited room on the wall (10"), I'll see if that is possible this weekend. Thanks for the answer on the basement circuit!

S.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: