Electrical socket is upside down.

Old 09-23-04, 07:39 AM
dandan
Visiting Guest
Question Electrical socket is upside down.

Some hospital's electrical outlets have the ground pole showing on top instead of on the bottom. My parent's new house is totally installed that way! What is the rule?

Old 09-23-04, 07:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There is no rule regarding ground up vs ground down. This is a matter of preference only, although some will debate the merits of both ways.

Sometimes this is used to denote which receptacle is switched in a room, if all the others are ground down.

Old 09-23-04, 07:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are opening a can of worms. There is no rule regarding which way is correct.

One argument for ground up is that if you drop something metal and it falls on a slightly pulled out plug, it will contact the ground instead of the hot and/or the neutral.

Others follow the convention indicated by pcboss, although this is by no means universal.

Sometimes the orientation is dictated by the cord and plug. Generally speaking, you want a right angled cord and plug to orient with the cord down (to reduce stress on the cord and plug and avoid an accidental unplugged device), so the receptacle must be installed to accomodate this.

Old 09-24-04, 11:28 AM
J
jn
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some counties in my area have adapted their local code making you install the ground pin at the top. (Check with local inspectors)
There is no national rule. As a matter of fact, I think you can put them not only right side up or down but also at any angle you want!
I install mine typically ground down because of so many transformers and air fresheners and so on are designed to lay against the wall that way.
Most commericial jobs are wired ground up around here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: