here's one for the books

Old 09-25-04, 11:46 PM
canrsiegrl
Visiting Guest
Angry here's one for the books

I'm at a loss...my kitchen light went out the other night...i tried the breaker, but nothing happened...i came back in, turning on lights all over the place...the hallway light turned on the kitchen light, which also turned on the livingroom light...it seems like all my wires got crossed???? any ideas on what the problem is, my husband has been changing all the outlets and switches...breaker doesn't fix the problem...house was built in 68....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-04, 03:06 AM
My guess is that your husband was a bit careless when he replaced the hallway switch. The hall switch probably had three wires attached to it, two to one side of the switch and one to the other side. When he replaced the switch, he grouped the wrong two together. Or perhaps he replaced a single-pole switch with a 3-way switch, thinking it was necessary because of the three wires. The problem is most likely is the connections in the hallway switch box.

Old 09-26-04, 10:59 AM
You may have an "open" Neutral ( White-wire) in a "3-wire" Branch-Circuit.

Possible that----- The Neutral from the C-B "opened" and the K-L went "out" ( K-L switch "On")-- you switched the H-L "On" and the K-L & H-L were connected in series and both illuminated- next the L-R-L, when the L-R-L was switched "On" and the L-R-L was illuminated, in series with either the K-L or the H-L.

Tracing the circuit--- Black-wire to K-L Sw, thru K-L Sw to K-L, thru K-L to H-L thru the White-wire between the K-L & H-L, thru the H-L to the H-L Sw, thru the H-L Sw to the Red-wire, and the K-L & H-L are illuminated is series across 220-volts.

Please know that 3-wire Feed"-cable with Black & Red wires indicates 220-volts between the R & B wires , and 110-volts Red-to-White/ Black-to-White.

Old 09-27-04, 09:07 AM
I was remiss in not explaining that a "3-wire" ( Black/Red/White wires ) cable usually terminates in a receptacle outlet-box and splits/divides into two seperate 2-wire circuits.

The Black of the 3-wire connects to the Black wire of C#1, the Red wire of the 3-wire conects to the Black wire of C#2, and the 3 Whites are connected together.

If the White-wire of the 3-wire cable has an "open" or "break", the two 2-wires circuits are still connected together thru their two respective White-wires, and the connected loads in the two circuit can operate in series across 220-volts.