Underground wiring question

Old 09-26-04, 11:35 AM
smiffer
Visiting Guest
Question Underground wiring question

In our backyard we have a pond that is about 80' in diameter. Next year we would like to purchase a fountain for the pond and are thinking of running electricity from the house to the edge of the pond. We are currently doing some major landscaping and while our entire backyard is torn up I would like to run underground wire out to this location. It approximately 150'. I have rented a ditchwitch next week to run our gutter downspouts from the house to the pond and figured this would be a good time to run the wire. My question is what gauge of wire should I use? Is there a certain type for underground use? As you can tell I am by no means an electrician.

Old 09-26-04, 12:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The first thing you must do is to find the pump you want to use and figure out how many amps it draws.

Old 09-26-04, 04:44 PM
smiffer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply John. We haven't narrowed it down to the exact foundtain we will be purchasing. But looking through our options it appears as if most of them are between 11-14 amps.

Old 09-26-04, 10:01 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you want the pump to have a long and heathy life, I'd probably direct-bury 10/2 UF-B. Run it from the load side of a GFCI receptacle in the house, and you can bury it as little as 12 inches deep (although you might want to bury it a bit deeper to minimize the chance of hitting it later).

Old 09-27-04, 05:35 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Note that you will want this to be on a new 20 amp circuit. 14 amps is a large draw. You wouldn't want this on a full circuit already. Run the wire to a point near the panel where you can install a GFCI, or run the cable all the way to the panel itself and use a 20 amp GFCI breaker. In either case I recommend a 20 amp breaker with nothing else on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: