Conduit required?

Old 09-26-04, 08:37 PM
Conduit required?

I will be installing a 100 amp subpanel off of our 200 amp main panel. The two panels will be about 15 feet apart in the basement. Both panels will be mounted to the concrete wall. The feeder cables will be concealed about half the span above a suspended ceiling. The other half will be exposed in the workshop area.

Must I use conduit for any or all of the length of the #2 feeder?

If I use metal conduit, do I still need to run a separate #10 EGC between the two panels? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-04, 09:39 PM
If you are using #2 THHN, then it must be in conduit the whole way. If you are using a cable assembly, then conduit is not required, but you should make sure the cable is adequately protected from physical damage. What constitutes "adequately" is subjective and is evaluated on site.

If you use metal conduit, you don't need to run a separate grounding wire, but I certainly would anyway. It will make a more secure grounding connection.

Old 09-27-04, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the reply John. If I use a 2/3 cable assembly but use a separate #10 EGC would that require conduit? I have not priced #2 and am not sure if there would be any significant savings in using a #10 vs #2 EGC over a ~18' length of conductor, espeicially if it would then require the extra cost of conduit.

Old 09-27-04, 12:30 PM
Don't use a cable without a grounding wire.

Old 09-27-04, 02:19 PM
Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 10-04-04, 07:38 PM
Is a #10 sufficient for this installation? I would run a minimum of a #8. Also if it were in conduit wouldn't you need to use bonding bushings if there were concentric knockouts?

Old 10-04-04, 07:41 PM
Although you could certainly run #8, the NEC only requires #10 here.