POP! and it goes out and isn't found

Old 09-26-04, 07:57 PM
Kushballz
Visiting Guest
POP! and it goes out and isn't found

Hi everybody,
I was watching t.v. for about 10 mins. and suddenly the power goes out to the whole house. I waited for less than a minute and then everything came back on except the outlet I was watching t.v. on and another one (which didn't have anything plugged into it) in series to it. So, I went to the circuit breaker box, and to my suprise, there weren't any switches flipped. I went and got my multimeter, and tested the outlet (that my t.v. was plugged into), and no power. My house is almost 40 years old so I figured that there might be a chance that the outlet itself was bad, and tested the bare wires, and still no power. I had a toilet water line burst during the night upstairs and when I woke up it was dripping down the visible side of the wall over the light switch and the outlet i'm complaning about so I flipped the circuit breakers off for that whole room just to be on the safe side. The next day I turned the breaker back on and everything worked normally. Do you think that this could be a contributing factor to the failure of the outlet? Sorry for making this sound like a story, but where do you think the problem is?

P.S. I don't have any rats or mice and if I did my cat would of eaten them. Also this room is in the basement, which is finished.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-04, 08:45 PM
Have you checked all your gfci outlets even the ones you dont know about?

Old 09-27-04, 06:42 PM
Kushballz
Visiting Guest
I checked the whole line and there isn't any gfci's hooked up... Its a direct line to the breaker... I also tested the breaker its hooked up to and it isn't faulty. I also flipped it on and off and it didn't make any differance.

Old 09-28-04, 05:37 PM
If you can follow the wire back to the panel then this should simple to fix. Check for voltage at the breaker. then check for voltage at the first device. If no voltage at first device the you have problem in breaker box or cable is bad. Could be a loose connction to the breaker or the neutral wire. If you have no voltage on breaker then you have defective breaker.

Old 09-28-04, 05:49 PM
How do you know it's a direct line to the breaker? Can you see the wire the whole way there? Or did you wire this circuit yourself?

Old 09-29-04, 06:12 PM
Kushballz
Visiting Guest
Question

I have voltage at the breaker, and my handy dandy AC powerline finder detects voltage all the way until I can't see the wire because it goes behind the central air unit, and into the wall/ceiling. I'm guessing that the breaker is good, but somehow between the wall and the first outlet something is defective (which is only about 4 feet inside a wall). As for the me knowing the line goes directly to the breaker, it runs up the wall in the closet the outlet is in, then shoots straight back to the breaker box... Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,
Kushballz

Old 09-30-04, 02:49 PM
Unless you were doing some work in that area the wire inside the wall is not likely to have gone bad. I still tink you have a loose neutral either in the panel or at the first receptacle.