Outdoor receptical installation question

Old 09-27-04, 12:49 PM
Outdoor receptical installation question

I am planning to install at least 3 outdoor recepticals (1 in each front corner and at least 1 in the rear corner) along with a motion sensor light w/switch above the garage. I will be using 12/2 w/20A breaker & GFCI recepticals.

Can I use standard recepticals and a GFCI breaker or do all of the recepticals need to be GFCI?

Also, I was told at my home supply store that I cannot connect all the the recepticals together using the same indoor method (panel to line on first receptical, load from first receptical to line of second receptical, etc.) because I cannot run 2 lengths of 12/2 wire throught the same hole in the foundation into 1 weatherproof external receptical box. Is this true? Will I need a junction box inside where each external receptical is located so that they may all be connected?

Please help as I don't want to encounter any problems or do this incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 01:01 PM
I have never heard of any such restriction.

Yes, you can use a GFCI breaker and then you won't need a GFCI receptacle at each location. However, many people don't like GFCI breakers because they require a trip to the panel to reset, and you don't know if the trip was for a ground fault or for an overload.

One other point. If you are using GFCI receptacles at each location, you do not want to use the "load" terminals at all.

Old 09-27-04, 01:05 PM
So what you are saying is that I can run 2 lengths of 12/2 wire throught the same hole & romex clamp into the outside receptical?

Old 09-27-04, 01:17 PM
As long as the clamp is designed for two cables then this is allowed.

Old 09-27-04, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all of your help.

Old 09-27-04, 01:24 PM
I would just use one GFCI receptacle inside the house, and feed all the outside receptacles from the load side of this one. That way you can avoid the cost of a GFCI breaker, get an extra inside receptacle in the bargain, and use regular receptacles outside.

Old 10-11-04, 09:51 AM
Thumbs up

Well, I finally got around to this project this past weekend. I installed only 2 receptacles in the front (I will add the rear one next spring) and will probably add the motion light this coming weekend.

I decided to use GFCI receptacles in both locations, along with junction boxes inside the basement. That way I didn't have to worry about multiple lines going through the outside wall. All in all, the projcet went well.

Once again, thanks to John & racraft for all of your help. This board is an excellant source of information for the DIY homeowner looking for help.