ceiling fan wont work

Old 09-29-04, 07:53 AM
pete44
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan wont work

my friend has a ceiling fan thats not working off the switches, after I pulled the switches I noticed 1 switch was a single pole with a 3 wire cable in the box but was disconnected and taped off. the other switch was a four way switch with the 3 wire cable from the first switch and a 2 wire coming in from Im guessing the fan/light combo. I replaced the 2 switches with 3 ways. when I looked in the ceiling there are four 2 way cables coming into the box and one of the white wires was capped off, I reconnected this and when I turned the power back on it blew the fuse, the fan has 3 wires.... black, white, and black and white . all the blacks were connected together and all of the whites with the exception of the capped off one, This does not sound like the proper wiring. someones help with this would be greatly appriciated.

Pete From Virginia

Old 09-29-04, 08:06 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it sounds like what we refer to in the trade by the technical term "mess". It might be almost impossible to sort this out being there to see it and test it. Perhaps you can find an electrically experienced friend to bring some test equipment in and take a look.

Old 09-29-04, 08:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This can certainly be straightened out. However, it will take work.

You need to identify every cable that comes into the ceiling box and each switch box.

At the ceiling box you need to figure out which incoming cable is power, and where the other cables go. They may go to each switch box (seems unlikely), one of the switch boxes (likely), another portion of the circuit (also likely).

At the switch boxes you need to identify which wires are which, and where they come from.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: