generator question

Old 09-29-04, 05:43 PM
generator question

I would like to put a 13000 watt generator system in my home. I would rather feed the existing panel than put in a seperate panel. Is there a disconnect or a transfer switch that can be put in the service wires between the meter and the panel to prevent sending power back into the grid?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-04, 06:33 PM
Yes. If you need automation, look for a service rated automatic transfer switch. If manual is ok, then a service rated double pole (or triple pole) and double throw transfer switch would do it.

Old 09-30-04, 04:48 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
Ron,

It would seem to me that a 3-pole disconnect would be required, otherwise any unbalanced current would flow out the grounded conductor to the grid. True or false?

Rob

Old 09-30-04, 03:11 PM
You could install one of these.
http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
You simply remove the meter plug it in and reinstall the meter. Since most power companies give one meter disconnect/reconnect per year for free, installation should not cost anything. You could also remove it and take it with you of you ever moved.

Old 10-01-04, 08:53 AM
The three pole transfer would be recommended, so that the generator can keep its factory installed neutral to ground bond.
A two pole is ok, as long as you disconnect the neutral to ground bond within the generator.

Old 10-05-04, 04:32 PM
backfeed

Originally Posted by HandyRon
The three pole transfer would be recommended, so that the generator can keep its factory installed neutral to ground bond.
A two pole is ok, as long as you disconnect the neutral to ground bond within the generator.
Would it be safe to backfeed the panel through a two pole breaker after I have the disconnect installed?

Old 10-05-04, 06:28 PM
The connection must be an interlocked set of breakers or transfer switch, which would mechanically prevent the simultaneous connection of the generator and utility sources.

Old 10-16-04, 08:24 AM
Most of the consumer model generators in that size come pre-wired with a transfer panel. I know the Generac/Guardian line of home standby generators do.

http://www.guardiangenerators.com/pr...dian7_15kw.asp

A suitable size LP or NG source will have to be provided, and unless you are very familiar and comfortable working with something that will kill you, hire an electrician to install it. The generator itself is $3000, so spending another 10% to have it installed isn't bad.

The 15kw LP model is on my 'next buy' list.

Old 10-21-04, 06:12 AM
That Generlink place must not be too interested in sales.. I emailed them 5 days ago regarding pricing and availability and they have yet to reply...

Note to companies: If you aren't going to respond to emails, do NOT provide an email address! Or at least say emails won't be replied to.

Old 10-21-04, 06:04 PM
I've had the same "no reponse" experience with that generlink company. I did find out from a lady that finally answered the phone once that they cost $650. The apparently one-and-only salesman never returned my calls.
Mike

Old 10-21-04, 07:23 PM
I ended up emailing the parent company today and got a relatively speedy response. the gist of which was, we won't sell to you, if your utility company is willing to sell it, then you can buy it from them, if they don't sell it, we'll contact them and see if they will do so.

I told them who my electric company was.. still didn't get an answer on cost though. It sounds like a decent product, surely better than hardwiring your genset in and pulling the main breaker. But you also have to buy their connecting cord, since they use a proprietary connector on one end.

At $650 though, I could buy another small generator, or a really big transfer panel (or 3 smaller (6 circuit) ones.

Old 11-23-04, 07:13 PM
Old thread but.

about 2 weeks ago, I started searching again, emailed about 5 places that indicated they carried it. Only 1 responded, asked for my utility company so I told em that.. took a good week to reply again.

My utility hasn't approved the device (though I think all the other florida utilities have). So, they can't sell me one for that, BUT, if I want one for um, 'non utility' use.. $650 shipped.

The utilities I found that do use it, don't sell it, they lease it. I ain't paying a lease on something that's going to be stuck to home for the rest of my life.

Still not convinced it's worth $650.. $300 maybe.

I'll wait for my whole house generator, or for one to show up on ebay at a decent price.