Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Upgrading old two-prong outlets with a ground - Will this meet NEC?

Old 09-30-04, 03:01 PM
arniebuteft
Visiting Guest

The house I am soon to purchase has old two-prong recepticles, no grounding anywhere in the house. Previously, I had planned to tear out all of the old wiring on the main floor, and run new NM cable everywhere. In the basement it's a bit easier, since all of the basement wiring is inside metal conduit.

While having my home inspection done last week, my inspector naturally informed me of the grounding situation. When I asked him about what he would do, he said that I could just run a single ground wire from each recepticle down into the basement. While I'm sure this would work in theory, would it meet code requirements? I assume he meant that I would get some #12 or #14 THHN green wire and run that, depending on the size of the recepticle wiring.

Of course, if I'm going to run a wire from each outlet to the main service panel anyways, I might not be saving that much time and effort if I run a single THHN wire versus running NM cable. Also, wouldn't the THHN wire need to be run in conduit in the basement? How about inside the walls upstairs? Thanks!

-Arnie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-04, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by arniebuteft
Of course, if I'm going to run a wire from each outlet to the main service panel anyways, I might not be saving that much time and effort if I run a single THHN wire versus running NM cable. Also, wouldn't the THHN wire need to be run in conduit in the basement? How about inside the walls upstairs? Thanks!

-Arnie
Exactly my thoughts. Might as well run a new NM-B cable.