Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Want to run new wires into breaker box that is drywalled in, how do I do the clamps?

Want to run new wires into breaker box that is drywalled in, how do I do the clamps?

Old 09-30-04, 04:52 PM
CptanPanic
Visiting Guest

I am adding a couple of circuits for my garage to my breaker box. The problem is the box is embedded into the wall, so the top of the box is inside drywall. The wires that are already there enter the box using the plastic clamps from the top, but that must have been done before the drywall. So what are my options as far as clamping the new wires coming into the box?
Thanks,
CP

Old 09-30-04, 05:34 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Simple. Cut a hole in the drywall. Drywall is easy to repair and cheap as dirt. Don't give it a second thought. Cut a big hole to make your work easier. Repairing a big hole is just as easy as repairing a small hole.

Old 09-30-04, 09:05 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
Another option is to drill a big [1 1/4"] hole in the top plate; attach the Romex connector to the end of the cable -- sans the lock ring; feed same into panel [de-energized]; add lock nut.
One way to remove the knockout from within the panel is to drill a self-drilling sheet metal screw into from the inside, grip it with Vice-Grips and wiggle it out.
~Peter

Old 10-01-04, 11:09 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use a non-mettalic cable-connector designed specifly for N-M cable. After you have pulled the cable thru the K-O opening, fix the connector to the cable and push it up and into the K-O opening and it will "Snap" into the edge of the opening and be fixed-in-place.

This is a "from the inside-out" application which is the reverse of the "usual" "from the outside in".

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: