what do i need?

Old 10-01-04, 09:18 AM
what do i need?

I am going to put a 4 plug outlet out in my dog pen.

the wire run will be approx 80-100'

what kind of wire do i need?

should i use conduit or a direct bury?

thanks

mechrus

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 09:40 AM
This isn't the only way to do it, but it's certainly how I'd do it. Use UF-B cable, run from the "load" terminals of a GFCI receptacle in the house, direct buried at least 12 inches, and protected by PVC conduit where above ground at each end, and down to the bottom of the trench.

Whether you should use 12/2 UF-B, 14/2 UF-B, or something else depends on whether the breaker protecting this is 15-amp or 20-amp, and how much power you intend to draw from those receptacles. Please provide this information.

Use outdoor boxes and covers. If you need to leave something plugged in unattended, you must use "in use" covers.

Old 10-01-04, 01:11 PM
i am going to use the receptical to plug in a heating source for my dog. one of those pillow type things.

occasionally for outdoor stuff radio ect. and tools.

I think the breakers are 15 amp. I have space for more breakers should i use a new gfci breaker?

mechrus

Old 10-01-04, 01:33 PM
I assume that this pillow is fairly low wattage??? Do you know how many watts?

80 feet is a bit of a stretch for a 120-volt circuit. For simple things, it's okay. But if you plan any significant tools (such as a table saw), the wire size would need to be increased for acceptable performance. The fact that you said four receptacles implies that at least occasionally you might draw significant power.

The degree of satisfaction you draw from this depends on your ability to accurately predict your power requirements.

I'd probably install a new circuit on a new 20-amp breaker. No need to spend the bucks on a GFCI breaker. A GFCI receptacle is cheaper and should be installed inside the house (perhaps near the panel) before connecting to the underground cable. 12-gauge wire would then be good for about 12 amps with acceptable voltage drop, and occasionally higher usage for brief periods. If 12 amps isn't enough, move up to 10-gauge wire.

Old 10-02-04, 02:40 PM
tngoodguy
Visiting Guest
I can't help but say this -- be sure to use metal outdoor boxes and covers instead of plastic, and ground accordingly. I have a similar set-up, but my dogs almost chewed through the plastic box mounted 4' off the floor of the pen, which could have beeen a real disaster. I didn't think of this beforehand. So I replaced the box with a metal one and relocated it much higher so the dogs couldn't reach.