Your opinion please.

Old 10-01-04, 08:04 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Your opinion please.

I've never seen this before, but, don't let that surprize you. I'm wiring a bonus room above the garage. (For resale value it's now called a "media room") The electrician ran a "future wire" for this room. It's a 14/3 wire, I decided to just use the black and white wires and cap the red. After completing all the electrical work in the room I was ready to put the 15 amp breaker in the box. I capped and labeled the red wire, located the black wire (both were located in the electrical box but not connected to anything) and then I noticed the ground and neutral wire were both already connected to the bar in the box. I thought this was unusual. Maybe not? Is it standard procedure to connect these wires, the white and ground, and just leave the Hot wires for future connections? Your opinion(s) are appreciated. BTW, everything works fine in the "media room" and thanks for your help in a previous post.

Old 10-01-04, 08:39 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Probably an oversite by the electrician or maybe he was going to install a switch at the other end and didnt get the job finished. Wouldnt say it was wrong but been a little better if both ends had all wires capped off and not connected.

Old 10-02-04, 03:51 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The electrician was just saving himself a few bucks by not buying the breaker for you. Your situation is very common.

Old 10-02-04, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it is a future wire it might possibly never be used. I see this from time to time.

We don't know what it will be used for unless it is stated, it may need a two pole breaker or two single poles. Also I DO NOT install breakers for future use with the load end not terminated. In a new house I don't even terminate the breakers until I know the branch circuit is deviced or made up. I see too many carpenters and GC's turning on every breaker just to get power to one receptacle, and leave them all on.

When I run a future use wire I always tie in the neutral and grounds. If for whatever strange reason the cable becomes hot, or someone ties into it, or it gets shorted out...anything, I know the grounds are made up and it will open the breaker. If nothing is tied in then any wire in the cable which might become hot will stay hot until.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: